This video is provided and hosted from a third-party server. RockPeaks is not responsible for any activities originating with such third-party server. If you believe this linked content infringes your intellectual property rights, please click the flag icon above and follow the instructions.
1 day 21 hours ago
|"Sad Songs (Say So Much)"|
|Single by Elton John|
|from the album Breaking Hearts|
|B-side||"A Simple Man"|
|Format||Vinyl record (7" and 12")|
|Length||7" - 4:07, 12" - 4:47|
|Writer(s)||Elton John, Bernie Taupin|
|Elton John singles chronology|
"Sad Songs (Say So Much)" is a song by Elton John and is the closing track on the 1984 album Breaking Hearts. It reached the No 5 on the U.S. chart. The lyrics describe how it sometimes helps for someone who is feeling sad, or who has lost a partner, to listen to old radio blues classics. In the years since its issue, radio airplay has been modest compared with some of John's other 1980s singles.
The music video, directed by Russell Mulcahy and shot on a street in Rushcutters Bay, Sydney, featured John without glasses in some scenes.
John performed the song at One Night Only: The Greatest Hits Live at Madison Square Garden with Canadian rock star Bryan Adams.
The song and the music video were both utilized in an early 80's TV advertisement for Sasson Designer Jeans by Maurice Sasson, altering the lyrics of the song to "Sasson says so much."
- Elton John: piano, keyboards, vocals
- Davey Johnstone: acoustic guitar, backing vocals
- Dee Murray: bass, backing vocals
- Nigel Olsson: drums, backing vocals
- ^ "Elton John – Sad Songs (Say So Much) – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Hung Medien.
- ^ "100 Singles". RPM. Vol. 40 (No. 25): p. 6. 25 August 1984. ISSN 0315-5994. Retrieved 20 June 2011.
- ^ "Adult Contemporary". RPM. Vol. 41 (No. 1). 8 september 1984. ISSN 0315-5994. Retrieved 20 June 2011.
- ^ "Chartverfolgung / JOHN, ELTON / Single" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- ^ "Charts.org.nz – Elton John – Sad Songs (Say So Much)". Top 40 Singles. Hung Medien.
- ^ "Elton John – Sad Songs (Say So Much) – Hitparade.ch". Singles Top 75. Hung Medien.
- ^ "Archive Chart" UK Singles Chart. Official Charts Company.
- ^ "Elton John Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Elton John. Prometheus Global Media.
- Full lyrics of this song at MetroLyrics