4 days 19 hours ago
|Coordinates||37°46′45″N 122°24′53″W / 37.779081°N 122.414708°W / 37.779081; -122.414708Coordinates: 37°46′45″N 122°24′53″W / 37.779081°N 122.414708°W / 37.779081; -122.414708|
|Designation||San Francisco Landmark|
|Architect||B. Marcus Priteca|
|Previous names||Pantages Theatre|
New Orpheum Theatre
|San Francisco Designated Landmark|
The SHN Orpheum Theatre is a performance venue located at 1192 Market at Hyde Street in the Civic Center district of San Francisco, California. The theatre first opened in 1926 as one of the many designed by architect B. Marcus Priteca for theater-circuit owner Alexander Pantages. The interior features a vaulted ceiling while the facade was patterned after a 12th-century French cathedral. The Orpheum seats 2,203 guests. In 1998, there was a $20 million renovation completed to make the Orpheum more suitable for Broadway shows after a previous renovation in the 1970s. The Orpheum is a Locally Designated San Francisco Landmark as determined by the San Francisco Landmarks Preservation Advisory Board.
The theatre has hosted a number of Broadway shows, and from April 30 to May 4, 2007, hosted Late Night with Conan O'Brien, and was recently home to a two year sit-down production of the musical Wicked from January 27, 2009 through September 2010.
The Orpheum, as well as the Golden Gate Theatre in San Francisco, are owned by SHN, a theatrical producing company owned by Tony Award-winning producer, Carole Shorenstein Hays and partner, Robert Nederlander.
- ^ "City of San Francisco Designated Landmarks". City of San Francisco. Retrieved 2012-10-21.
- ^ Chandler, Dan (2009). "Orpheum Theater San Francisco". BubbasGotTickets. Retrieved 20 August 2012.
- ^ Alvis Hendley (2010). "San Francisco Landmark 94: Orpheum Theater". Noehill. Retrieved 5 August 2010.
- ^ Benny Evangelista (April 25 2007). "Conan O'Brien's road trip to San Francisco". The San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved 5 August 2010.
- ^ BWW News Desk (Tuesday, January 27, 2009). "Wicks and Kassebaum Head Wicked SF Return, Opens at Orpheum 1/27". BroadwayWorld. Retrieved 5 August 2010.
- SHN San Francisco, owner of the Orpheum